On this day in Alabama history: Magnolia Grove ownership transferred

On this day in Alabama history: Magnolia Grove ownership transferred
Magnolia Grove Plantation, Greensboro, 2010. (The George F. Landegger Collection of Alabama Photographs in Carol M. Highsmith's America, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division)

April 5, 1980

Ownership of Magnolia Grove, a historic site and museum in Greensboro, was transferred by the state to the Alabama Historical Commission. Magnolia Grove is a rare example of the pedimented temple form of Greek Revival architecture in Alabama. It was built about 1840 by Isaac Croom, a native of North Carolina. Croom, a wealthy cotton planter, and his family were part of the migration of East Coast planters to Alabama’s fertile Black Belt area during the period known as Alabama Fever. In 1973, Magnolia Grove was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The grounds are open year-round, except state holidays, and a cellphone audio tour is available.

Read more at Encyclopedia of Alabama.

For more on Alabama’s Bicentennial, visit Alabama 200.

Related Stories