On this day in Alabama history: Lewis Smith Dam was put into service

On this day in Alabama history: Lewis Smith Dam was put into service
Lewis Smith Dam is an earth- and rock-filled structure spanning the Sipsey Fork of the Black Warrior River. The dam, which is 2,200 feet long and 300 feet high, was built during the late 1950s by the Alabama Power Company and is named for Lewis Martin Smith, the company's president from 1952-1957. (From Encyclopedia of Alabama, courtesy of the Alabama Power Company)

Sept. 5, 1961

Alabama Power Company created Lewis Smith Dam and Lake to produce hydropower on the Sipsey Fork of the Black Warrior River. The project was formally dedicated in May 1961. Then later that year, it was put into service Sept. 5.

It was named for Alabama Power president Lewis M. Smith, who had been closely involved with its planning and design.

Lewis Smith Lake covers portions of Cullman, Walker and Winston counties in the north-central portion of the state. The lake is 35 miles long with 500 miles of shoreline and is known for good sport fishing, hosting several major professional bass fishing tournaments each year.

It features public-use areas and provides habitat for wildlife and species such as the bald eagle.

Read more at Encyclopedia of Alabama.  

For more on Alabama’s Bicentennial, visit Alabama 200.

Related Stories